The ultimate goal of the Education Initiative is to ensure that our students are socially and academically prepared to graduate from high school on time, and are work ready and college bound. To this end, the Los Angeles Urban League will work across the lifecycle of the student, from Pre-K through high school. The Education Initiative will create opportunities for academic enrichment, promote healthy relationships with positive adult role models, facilitate connections with relevant career options, and encourage a supportive peer culture.
Goals & Objectives
- Foster a rigorous academic experience in our neighborhood schools.
- Provide needed academic and remediation supports.
- Connect students with positive adult and peer role models.
- Create opportunities for students to obtain relevant work and internship experiences.
- Promote a culture of personal and academic achievement.
- Engage parents and community members in the success of our youth.
- Crenshaw Pre-K12 Collaborative: Launched in August 2007, under the direction of the Los Angeles Urban League, the Crenshaw Pre-K12 Collaborative creates a constituency group of parents, students, educators, community members and organizational stakeholders. This collaborative advocates for education and school reforms that are in the best interest of youth attending the Los Angeles Urban League’s Community of Schools in and around the Crenshaw High School feeder pattern.
- City Year@42nd Street
- Youth Leadership Institute
- Mentoring in the Moment: This program allows Crenshaw High students to shadow a business, public, and non-profit leaders and give our students the potential to develop long-lasting mentoring relationships.
- Project S.O.A.R. – Algebra Institute
- Angels in the House – After School Literacy Program
- Beyond Basic – Saturday Literacy Institute College Summit
- Peer Mentoring Initiative
- Parent Power Dinner Series