The Los Angeles Urban League’s goal for the Safety Initiative is to measurably reduce the overall crime rate in the Park Mesa Heights community. The Safety Initiative is demonstrating its effectiveness, as LAPD Year-to-Date statistics for 2008 show that crime within target area has been reduced by 29%, as compared to 2007
Objectives the safety includes four objectives:
1. To establish partnerships with law enforcement agencies and engage the community in safety solutions.
2. To reduce gang related crime and violence by increasing youth development opportunities.
3. To reintegrate ex-offenders into the neighborhood with positive opportunities.
4. To improve the environmental conditions that promote neighborhood safety.
· Domestic Violence Prevention Collaborative-The Los Angeles Domestic Violence Prevention Collaborative (which is also represented by Los Angeles Urban League, Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, and Asian Pacific American Legal Center) is funded by the Verizon Foundation. This program employs a culturally relevant, linguistically sensitive, multi-pronged approach, including community education, outreach, multilingual materials, and collaborative media activities.
· Neighborhood Block Club Recruitment & Training
· Audubon Middle School Boot Camp
· Crenshaw High School Safe Travel Program
· Crenshaw High School Safety Task Force
· Emerging Leadership Academy: The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and the Los Angeles Urban League have partnered to create an educational program for gang members and those at risk. The Emerging Leaders Academy also provides essential skills for employment and serves as an alternative to criminal behavior and violence.
· Los Angeles Police Department Safer Cities II Unit
· California Highway Patrol Area Unit
· Asset & Resource Mapping for Environmental Justice
LAUL President Rollins on Local Edition
Spirit of Service